Monday, July 25, 2011

zig zag quilt



I picked up 2 charm packs of this really colorful and fun fabric a while back, with intentions of a little quilt for my daughter. 
IMG_3794
 I also have been wanting to make a zig zag quit for some time.  So this was a perfect match! 
I learned about a technique where you sew you white square right sides with your printed square.  Draw or iron a diagonal line or fold and sew 1/4" on each side of the line, you then cut on the line and you have two squares complete.  Its a genius quilting trick.  So I got going on cutting and piecing arranging my layout with my 5 year old input on how the colors should go.  She did not like the mixed up look like the quilts online, she wanted the 4 block that matched to stay together so I did as she asked and we put together a very color pleasing quilt.  I used a polkadot flat sheet for the backing and black and white dot for the binding.  I quilted along the zigzag and was able to complete the machine quilting in a few hours.
Here is the method I used for the blocks, you can arrange theese triangles in a number of ways to get so many different patterns, 4 finished blocks make one zig zag

Next on the list to finish this bed off is a pillow that requires some hand embroidery. Inspired by this lovely shop. To be done in the car on our family vacation. Coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelly,

    I really like your rainbow zig zag quilt! I also have two charm packs and am looking forward to making something similar to this. Could you give me an idea of how many blocks across/down you used and what the final size is?

    Thanks,
    Cindy
    fluffysheepquilting.blogspot.com
    fluffysheepquilting(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete